Re: draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade reissued

From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:00:04 -0400
To: IETF HTTP List <http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Julien Pierre wrote:

> If the client tries to upgrade to TLS on every request, it will fail 99% of the time,
> because servers don't support it.

Servers that don't support it ignore it, because RFC-2616 doesn't provide an error code to
mean "I don't understand that Upgrade:".  (I just tried it on Apache 1.3.9 and 1.3.12, NES
3.6, and IIS 5.0; they all behaved exactly the same with and without "Upgrade: foo".) This
means that a client that sends the Upgrade: all the time won't break anything; it will cost
a few extra bytes, but not the extra round trips you're talking about.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |