Re: IPV6 address in host header, needs clarification

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:23:45 -0700
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
cc: Larry Masinter <LM@att.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
>> What useful purpose does sending an IP (v anything) address in
>> a Host header field perform?
>
>Being able to make a HTTP/1.1 request at all using an IP address... since
>you need a Host: header of some sort.

That's not what I meant.  Is this just a question about what to put
in the field value, or is there some functionality/semantics desired
behind the server interpreting this value (which we have discussed
in the past as being a bad thing).

The syntax for host is defined by reference to RFC 2396, which in
turn is updated by the IPv6-within-URI specification (RFC 2732),
so the answer for HTTP syntax has already been defined.

....Roy