RE: webmail vulnerabilities: a new pragma token?

But what your talking about means that the server would
send the pragma: disable-scripting to the client.
That is a response header, not a request header as the
spec defines it.

> > Also, RFC2616 says that 'No new Pragma directives will be
> defined in HTTP'.
> > That seems to preclude this use of it.
>
> But what Peter suggests is an extension-pragma and not a new
> Pragma directive
> e.g.
>
> Pragma: no-cache, disable-scripting

No, thats a new directive.   You're just listing
multiple directives in a single pragma statement.

The point of that part of the spec is to declare
pragma obsolete and not to be used in future work.

> The question that seems more apropos is what is the provider
> expecting from the
> client, not the converse.  Any implementor that decides to
> modify her client to
> extend Pragma: no-cache to Pragma: no-cache, disable-scripting should
> reasonably expect the server to have implemented a Reply with
> scripting

I think the original poster meant that the CLIENT
would disable scripting code that was sent by the server.
What you seem to be describing is that the client would
send a requedt with "please dont send me any script"
which defeats the purpose since you now have to trust
the server....

I see your problem, but I dont think pragma is
the right place for a solution.
As a matter of fact, I dont think HTTP is the place
for your solution.  Why not just stick a meta tag
in the HTML itself ?

Finally, as scott said, this problem can be solved
by using existing browser functionality.  This
is certainly easier than modifying the protocol and
hoping that people will implement it.
(I for one would recommend against implementing
 your solution in our browser)