RE: server parsing of URI path parameters

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:25:47 -0500
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@pobox.com>, <http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: <mnot@akamai.com>
> From: Mark Nottingham [mnot@pobox.com]
> To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: server parsing of URI path parameters

> I've been looking at use of parameters on path segments of URIs,
> as discussed in RFC2396 (section 3.3).
> [...]
> With that in mind, a more HTTP-specific question: How should an
> origin server treat a request that includes parameters?

Any confusion here results from equating 'URL path' to 'file path';
it need not be.  Something in the server is responsible for
interpreting a path - doing so as a file path is just one
possibility.

> I suspect the answer depends on the purpose and uses of
> parameters, but I'm interested to get some views on this.

Exactly so.

--
Scott Lawrence      Director of R & D        <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems   Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/