RE: Https proxies - was Re: http proxy & tunnel differences ??

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:28:18 -0400
To: <douglas.e.reed@att.net>
Cc: <http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

> From: douglas.e.reed@att.net

> This looks like an opportunity to expand my understanding
> on https proxies as well. When a client issues a CONNECT
> request to a proxy, the proxy creates a connection to
> the remote site, and the proxy returns an HTTP 200
> response to the client. From that point, the client
> and remote site exchange data through the proxy. My
> question is what is that data? Does the client have to
> issue a full SSL handshake over the connection, or can
> the client just send data. In other words, what happens
> after the CONNECT from a client's perspective.

CONNECT really just asks a proxy to create the origin server connection
and then switch to tunnel mode for the pair of connections
(client-proxy, proxy-origin).  What the client does over it is up to the
client.  Usage of CONNECT is not limited to https; for https you must
begin with the handshake.
--
Scott Lawrence           Director of R & D        <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/