Re: Host header issue

At 08:13 AM 9/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Not only did this waste IP addresses (getting to be a scarce resource),
>it caused MAJOR headaches among major ISP's doing Web hosting (think about
>the problems caused by adding the 257'th host to a web server on a class
>C net (or whatever you call the CIDR equivalent these days).

Oh, so the problem with the IP address space is the reason that the design
doesn't make sense.  That makes perfect sense!

>So certain (more than one) IESG/IAB members insisted this get fixed in
>such a way that it COULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be gotten wrong in all
>software going forward.  There was no confidence in people getting
>it right otherwise.

People?  I thought that this was technology?

>At least one of these people said 'I don't care if HTTP/1.1 has anything
>else', as a way to show the vehemence of the problem.

In other words, fix our problems in other areas with a screwy design.

Typical "design by committee" stuff.

Now everything's clear.

Wilbur

        Putting A Human Face On Technology ;-)