RE: Date header handling

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@exchange.au.ml.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:42:43 +1000
To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> So if the "some Web caches" you refer to are claiming to
> be HTTP/1.1 implementations, these are in violation of
> the spec.  Otherwise, we're stuck with the history of HTTP/1.0.

Depends on if you read the request header or their marketing material.

Most cache vendors will say that they implement "all of the important parts
of 1.1" without actually claiming compliance. In reality, they support a few
1.1 features, while formally stating that they're 1.0. To be fair, Caches
probably have the hardest job to implement 1.1.