RE: Date header handling

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@exchange.au.ml.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:42:43 +1000
To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
[...]
> So if the "some Web caches" you refer to are claiming to
> be HTTP/1.1 implementations, these are in violation of
> the spec.  Otherwise, we're stuck with the history of HTTP/1.0.

Depends on if you read the request header or their marketing material.
*grin*

Most cache vendors will say that they implement "all of the important parts
of 1.1" without actually claiming compliance. In reality, they support a few
1.1 features, while formally stating that they're 1.0. To be fair, Caches
probably have the hardest job to implement 1.1.