Re: Proxy-Connection header definition?

From: Kalvinder Singh <singh@ozy.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:26:36 +1000
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'Marc Slemko'" <marcs@znep.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Yaron Goland wrote:

> Sorry, a slip on the term authenticate. A persistent connection is needed
> for some of our authentication algorithms to work properly.

Do you happen to know which authentication algorithms you use that
require persistent connections???

> > What the Proxy-Connection header has done is require that every
> > proxy which can pass requests to an "upstream" proxy of some type
> > know about it or be "broken".  In reality, it is the concept of the
> > Proxy-Connection header that is broken, but given that
> > clients implement
> > it and other proxies implement it, the only thing this poor little
> > standards conforming proxy can do is deal with it as well.
> >
> > It doesn't, of course, have to do anything other than drop it from
> > forwarded requests, but that still involves dealing with it.

So does that mean that a proxy that knows about the Proxy-Connection
header should remove it from the request message and should not try to
set up a persistent connection??? Or is there another way that you can
deal with it???

Cheers,
Kal.

--
    .      Kalvinder Singh                     singh@ozy.dec.com
 _-_|\     Software Engineering Australia