Re: GETs with Entity-Body ??

From: Kalvinder Singh <singh@ozy.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:04:49 +1000
To: Robert Long <longr@conducent.com>
Cc: "'http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com'" <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>

Robert Long wrote:

> I am wondering whether GET requests are allowed to have an Entity-Body?

I can't see any reason why they would not. I have written a small http
proxy, and I check for the "Content-Length" header to see if there is
any entity body, and not the METHOD (except for HEAD :).

> I have read through the HTTP RFC several times and have not been able to
> find a specific prohibition of this, however several colleagues of mine
> feel very strongly that GET requests are not permitted to provide an
> Entity-Body.

Well, it doesn't make any sense for the GET to have a body, since all
the information (both static and dynamic) are stored in the URL. So
maybe there is an implementation of a proxy and/or server that gets all
mixed up when there is a Body in a GET request.

I guess this might be one of those times where you are forced to find
out what the real world implementations do, by doing some testing...;)

If you do find out, could you tell me, since I too would like to know,
and am too lazy to work it out myself...;)

Cheers,
Kal.

--
    .      Kalvinder Singh                     singh@ozy.dec.com
 _-_|\     Software Engineering Australia