RE: Warning and I18N question (Adams #60).

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:06:13 -0800
To: "Jim Gettys" <jg@pa.dec.com>, <gadams@spyglass.com>
Cc: <http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
The purpose of the language identification in warning strings is not
for allowing the recipient to choose the appropriate one, but rather
merely to allow it to interpret the string correctly, if the display
action might involve, for example, reading the string out loud.

> > I'd suggest permitting the extensions specified by
> > RFC2231 (which updates RFC2047) to be used to provide
> > explicit language tagging of quoted strings.

There is no harm in updating the reference, but there's should
be no presumption that language tags are necessarily any more
useful for selection among appropriate warnings.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter