  • From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:40:21 -0700
  • Subject: Re: Problem with PUT and redirections on Apache
  • To: jg@w3.org
  • Cc: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
We have a protocol problem.  Section 8.2.4 says that we MUST return
an "error status" if we don't return a 100.  That shouldn't say what
kind of other status the server might return, since some requests can
be completed successfully without reading the body (e.g., the OPTIONS
body can be discarded).  302 responses is another case where the
server does not want to return 100 even though it is not an error.

....Roy