HTTP 1.1 issue 04: 4.2 Message Headers

From: Ross Patterson <RossP@SS1.Reston.VMD.Sterling.Com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:43:09 +0100 (BST)
To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
In section 4.2 "Message Headers", the statement

   "Applications SHOULD follow "common form", where one is known or
   indicated, when generating HTTP constructs, since there might
   exist some implementations that fail to accept anything beyond the
   common forms."

is so vague as to be impossible to measure, and should therefore not be
normative and a requirement of compliance. I've brought this one up
before, so if the general opinion goes against me I won't complain.

Ross Patterson
VM Software Division
Sterling Software, Inc.