Re: http and ranges

I think the trend in general is to move away from user entered URLs.

Another trend is away from complex GET URLs and toward use of POST as
well as either the Safe: approach or a new idempotent GETX method.

Also, adding new syntax to the URL has the possiblity of breaking
existing implementations because the parsing implementaton if often
flakey at best.

There is no reason that the future should be defined by the limitations
of current UIs and HTML attributes.

I believe the range: approach was orginally conceived to allow a PDF
viewer plugin to efficiently transfer portions of the file. Two other
uses were quickly identified ... recovery of a user interrupted
transfer ... quickly getting image meta data for layout purposes w/o
waiting for the full transfer.

The whole range of ways and kinds of pieces users might want to
request doesn't lend itself to user entry of byte level encoding.
There is no reason the current URL scheme can't retrieve whole documents
as well as pieces with simple URLs ... outside of the scope of HTTP
and URLs, the server implementation defines the interpretation of the
URL. With a SINGLE data file and/or DB, the URLs
    http://www.bookserve.com/clancy/HotBook
    http://www.bookserve.com/clancy/HotBook/chapter1
    http://www.bookserve.com/clancy/HotBook/chapter1/para6
could all produce variant levels of zoom into the document. This can
be achieved today on some servers by creative use of mapping to cgi
programs. Or an imperceptable alteration of the URL to:
    http://www.bookserve.com/clancy/Hot.Book
could be mapped to an ISAPI DLL on IIS, etc.

Also, thre are some pretty straight forward improvments to HTML and
UIs which would allow better access to the POST and possible GETX
methods.  Links which implement the POST method for example.

Dave Morris