Response Version - Clarification

From: Chris DiPierro <cdipierr@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:16:16 +0100 (BST)
To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I've been reading the spec for a while now and have read through the discussion
on "Call for Closure - HTTP Response Version", but I'm still a little unclear
of the way a certain scenario should work.

Let's say I had the following:

1.0 Client -> 1.1 Proxy -> 1.0 Server

From the spec, the proxy MUST upgrade the 1.0 request to 1.1 and send that on
to the server. The server of course responds with a 1.0 response. The proxy can
then chose what response version to send to the client as long as it doesn't
break the client (chunked data or something else like that).

However, the spec also says that proxies should keep track of the HTTP version
of all servers for various reasons. This is fine, but consider the following:

1.0 Client -> 1.1 Proxy #1 -> 1.1 Proxy #2 -> 1.0 Server

Proxy #2 of course can know the true version of the server, but there's no way
for Proxy #1 to know the real version of the server if Proxy #2 decides to
upgrade the 1.0 response to 1.1.

If this is covered by some other discussion, please point me to it. Otherwise
can someone tell me what's supposed to happen here?

Thanks,
Chris DiPierro