report on HTTP-WG

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:55:20 PDT
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Patrik Fältström <paf@swip.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
This was (really!) the last meeting of the HTTP working group.
We have nearly completed interoperability testing, and have
completed it sufficiently to move the HTTP specifications toward
last call. The final drafts of both documents (HTTP/1.1 and
Authentication) will be ready this week or next. After they
appear, we will ask for A-D review and IETF last call. There
have been (as always) a few minor last-minute issues, but
we're done.

As was noted in the Application WG Chairs meeting, there may
yet remain an issue over whether these documents 'recycle at
Proposed' or move forward to draft standard. The changes we
made were in response to problems found during Proposed Standard
testing, but in many ways it does not matter: what's important
at this point is that these documents be published and move
along standards track quickly.

Larry