Re: ISSUE: Expect Header Field Problem

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:52:39 +0000
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> >At least in the case of CGIs they often ignore
> >the method

> Does the server ignore them as well and just hands off the script
> regardless?

The CGI spec (either the existing 1.1 spec or the new 1.2) just makes the
method available to the program - if the program doesn't look, it doesn't.
Some of the CGI libraries make this easy to do as well - parameters are
parsed by the library from a GET query string or a POST body transparently,
for example.  I've tried bouncing TRACE and OPTIONS requests off various
URLs that were obviously scripts and many respond as though the request were
a GET.

I just took a (very) quick peek at the Apache documentation for adding
modules, and found a similar API - the method is passed by the server to the
module, so the core server itself doesn't even appear to have a way to know
what methods might be handled or not.  Pretty good design if you are
optimizing for flexibility.

--
Scott Lawrence           Consulting Engineer      <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/