PROXY-DNS resolution.

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:12:07 -0700
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Unless I hear complaint, I plan to apply this to rev-04.
			- Jim

From: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:04:46 -0700
To: "'jg@pa.dec.com'" <jg@pa.dec.com>, frystyk@w3.org,
masinter@parc.xerox.com,
        mogul@pa.dec.com, lawrence@agranat.com, fielding@ics.uci.edu,
        dmk@research.bell-labs.com
Subject: RE: URGENT....  I need your drafts by the end of today (Monday)..
        .
-----
OLD:
10.5.5 504 Gateway Timeout
  The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely
  response from the upstream server it accessed in attempting to complete
  the request.

NEW:
10.5.5 504 Gateway Timeout
  The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely
  response from the upstream server specifued by the URI (e.g., HTTP, FTP,
LDAP)
  or some other auxiliary server (e.g., DNS) it needed to access in
attempting
  to complete the request.
        Note: Implementers should be aware that some deployed proxies
        are known to return 400 or 500 when DNS lookups time out.