Charset issue from issue MISTAKES

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:33:36 PDT
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>, Jim Gettys <jg@w3.org>
Koen,

In http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1998q1/0520.html

you wrote about the removal of the sentence:
   The ISO-8859-1 character set can be assumed to be acceptable to all user
   agents.

arguing that it was a mistake, but that you couldn't "remember that there was
any rationale or discussion on the list for deleting it."

But in http://www.findmail.com/list/http-wg/7596.html (November 26, 1997)

you said, in response to a suggestion to remove this sentence:

> I agree, this sencence should be removed.

I think the earlier rationale is still valid, and that section 14.2
does not require any additional edits.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter