Re: IBM patents tunneling HTTP through another protocal

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 98 12:02:56 MDT
To: HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
I won't attempt to inject an opinion into the debate over whether there
is "prior art" that might invalidate this patent (#5,754,774).  (I will
point out that people who know nothing about patent law are often
surprised by what is or is not a valid patent.)

But because it's usually pretty difficult to figure out what a patent
is really describing (especially one with 129 claims!), I thought it
might help to point out that several of the authors of this patent
have already published a readable and fairly complete paper:
	Barron C. Housel and David B. Lindquist
	"WebExpress: A System for Optimizing Web
		Browsing in a Wireless Environment"
	Proc. 2nd Annual Intl. Conf. on Mobile Computing and
	ACM, New York, November 1996, 108-116

(from which one can infer that they probably came up with
the invention somewhat before the filing date on the patent).

As far as I know, this is the first publication to describe
the idea of "delta encoding" for HTTP (although I don't think
they used this term).

There have been several related documents published by others,
including myself:

	Gaurav Banga, Fred Douglis, and Michael Rabinovich
	"Optimistic Deltas for WWW Latency Reduction"
	Proc. 1997 USENIX Technical Conference
	Anaheim, CA, January 1997, pages 289-303

	Arthur van Hoff, John Giannandrea, Mark Hapner, Steve Carter,
	and Milo Medin.  The HTTP Distribution and Replication
	Protocol.  Technical Report NOTE-DRP, World Wide Web
	Consortium, August, 1997.

	Jeffrey C. Mogul, Fred Douglis, Anja Feldmann,
		 and Balachander Krishnamurthy.
	"Potential benefits of delta encoding and data compression
		for HTTP"
	Proc. SIGCOMM '97 Conference
	Cannes, France, September, 1997, pages 181-194
	Expanded version:

	Fred Douglis, Antonio Haro, and Michael Rabinovich.  HPP: HTML
	Macro-Preprocessing to Support Dynamic Document Caching.
	Proc.  USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems,
	USENIX, Monterey, CA, December, 1997, pp. 83-94.

	J. Mogul, Y. Goland, A. van Hoff, F. Douglis, A. Feldmann,
		B. Krishnamurthy
	"Delta encoding in HTTP",

Our SIGCOMM '97 paper has some discussion of the related work in
this area.