Re: IBM patents tunneling HTTP through another protocal

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 07:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
To: "John C. Mallery" <jcma@ai.mit.edu>
Cc: Benjamin "Snowhare" Franz <snowhare@xmission.xmission.com>, HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>, http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, John C. Mallery wrote:

> Note that on the Mac, we have been running HTTP over AppleTalk since
> 1995 with CL-HTTP.

Is that anything more than substituting AppleTalk for TCP/IP?  An ability
which some members of this WG have long insisted on maintaining. I
wouldn't consider that quite the same. I haven't managed to decode the
IBM patent yet so I haven't a clue as to whether it represented something
new when it was filed in 1995.  Nor do I have any idea how broad the
impact would be.

Dave Morris