Re: Non-order processing in persistent connections

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 12:11:41 -0700
To: Mark Stemm <stemm@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc: Josh Cohen <joshco@microsoft.com>, koen@win.tue.nl, ZhouKang@cheerful.com, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Clearly a good thing...  Congestion and loss recovery should clearly
be done on a host pair basis, and that existing TCPs don't is clearly
wrong...

There are still several other things I suspect that SMUX does that your
modified TCP does not (I couldn't access your web site this instant; got
a DNS lookup failure on the site for your paper): SMUX can pack more than
one fragment into a single packet.  As there are quite a few web objects
(and HTTP protocol requests) that are quite small, this saves quite a
few packets.  It also serves as a record marking protocol, which can be
useful in many applications.

And it can be deployed alot faster than getting everyone to agree on fixing
their TCPs (which should be done in any case).

So I don't think this is one or the other; I'd certainly like to see
a better TCP (particularly one that didn't throw away data after a reset;
this causes us more than a little pain!).
				- Jim