From: Zhou Kang [mailto:ZhouKang@cheerful.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 1998 10:09 AM
To: HTTP-WG
Subject: Non-order processing in persistent connections

Hi, Every body:

HTTP/1.1 says when web server deals with the pipelined requests in
persistent connections, it must return responses in same order that they
recieved. I think that is an idea not good enough, at least in some special
situations.

I am working on a web server and write my master degree thesis about HTTP.
My implementation supports both multi-thread and persistent connections. But
with my test,  in some situation , ordered processing in pipeline requests
costs long waiting time .

For example: when a request in the pipeline needs a long time processing
(like retrieve data from a database) , so the later responses must wait even
if they has been ready for being sent away.

In this situation , web server has to deal with the ordered messages at the
cost of a long response time and more resource for holding the ready
response in memory.

In fact, we can make some minor alteration to http server's performance. For
example, we can add a header to the messages to indicate the
request/response pair, something like 'Request-ID'. A client may create a
unique digital ID for every request to the same server ,  then the server

Any question and comment about this 'non-order processing', and my web
server or my thesis as well, please contact with me: zhoukang@cheerful.com
<mailto:zhoukang@cheerful.com>   . I can share source code of my web server
with others.

Zhou Kang