Re: outstanding issues: what's happening?

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 98 11:05:03 MDT
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
"Adam M. Donahue" <adam@cyber-guru.com> writes:

    > 4) <http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1998q2/0069.html>
    >
    > I think allowing TE: identity; q=0 is a bad idea.  I think "identity"
    > should always be allowed.

    I thought Jerrfey Mogul made a good point about wanting to forbid
    identity when compression would be highly desireable (as in the
    case where bandwidth is very expensive).  However, I agree with
    you that since chunked encoding is _always_ acceptable it seems
    somewhat silly to disallow identity in that case.  So...

I probably wasn't clear enough in that message.  For Accept-Encoding,
"identity; q=0" is presumably justified by the point I made, but
I finished that message by saying "the rationale that applied to
Accept-Encoding probably does not apply here."  I.e., while I'm
not sure I agree with Dave Kristol that "TE: identity; q=0" is a
"bad idea", I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was necessarily
a good idea, either.

-Jeff

P.S.: I've never seen my name spelled like *that* before :-)