Re: Status of HTTP-WG documents

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Larry Masinter wrote:

> On Fri 3/13/98 5:28 PM, the 'last LAST CALL' for three documents
> (v11-spec-rev, authentication, state-man-mec) was issued, and scheduled
> to expire March 27.
>
> The second document (authentication) has had substantial comments,
> which I believe will require a revision and another (brief) last
> call. More importantly, we need better substantiation of testing
> of interoperability of the independent implementations. We're still
> hoping for Draft Standard status for these two documents together,
> since v11-spec-rev should not move forward without a credible
> authentication mechanism at the same maturity level.

The previous "last call" was pretty sudden.

One thing that I don't like is

    nc-value         = 8LHEX

It should be

    nc-value         = *LHEX

Also in Authentication-Info I think it should be

     auth-info          = 1#( [nextnonce] | [ message-qop ]
                            | [ response-auth ] | [ cnonce ]
                            | [nonce-count] )

instead of

     auth-info          = 1#(nextnonce | [ message-qop ]
                            | [ response-auth ] | [ cnonce ]
                            | [nonce-count] )

with [] around nextnonce indicating that it is optional.

John Franks
john@math.nwu.edu