Re: Confused about persistent connection for old clients

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:30:13 -0400
To: "Windes, Edwin" <ewindes@spyglass.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

EW> OK, I too, am confused about why proxies MUST NOT establish
EW> persistent connections with 1.0 clients.  If the client and
EW> origin server connections are handled separately, and if the
EW> proxy understands the 1.0 Keep-alive, what's the danger?

  I believe that the intent is that the proxy server not assume
  1.1-style persistent connections.  The prohibition does not apply to
  the non-standard Keep-Alive mechanism; that is why it is noted in
  the text you quoted:

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/