Re: Age calculations in HTTP 1.1 11/21/97 document

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:56:53 -0500 (EST)
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

In the course of my testing, I've found that those proxies (the few we've
had to play with) which attempt to adjust for clock skew generally get it
wrong, especially when there is no Date header (noclock11.agranat.com).

I don't want to restart the debate, but if it were me I'd just record my
local time of reception, and construct my outgoing Age header based on how
long I'd held it plus any Age that I received.  Forget about trying for
any absolute truth - that's for philosophers - go for Good Enough.