Server initiated connections

From: Wyatt Williams <wyattw@icall.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 03:34:04 GMT
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Hello,

I understand that HTTP is a request/response protocol that normally
works over a single connection where the client (browser) creates the
connection and the server closes it after sending the response.

My question is: does the server _ever_ initiate a connection to a client
that requires that the client to have previously established a listener
socket or does the HTTP server _always_ return responses over the
connection that was established by the client?

Thanks in advance,
Wyatt Williams
iCall inc.
864-654-4322