Re: Issue: message/http or application/http

From: Ned Freed <Ned.Freed@innosoft.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:43:55 -0800 (PST)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Cc: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>, Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> I've always found this one of the most annoying things about how
> MIME was specified. If all message types must obey the same rules
> as an RFC 822 message, then why would you ever need more than
> message/rfc822?

I agree that it is annoying. However, the minute you try and lift these
rules you get into the area of nested encoding. Simply put, we could
not reach consensus on a standard that allowed for this possibility.

Even today my assessment of the present situation is that there is no chance of
lifting these restrictions.

				Ned