Existance of Proxies that Add Headers

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, John Franks wrote:

> The only reason this came up at this point was that because a hash
> of the Date, L-M and Expires headers can be part of the response
> there could be a problem for servers with no clock if a proxy added
> a Date header.  There is a simple answer to this which is that
> proxies should not be allowed to add or change Date, L-M or Expires
> headers.  There are no known implementations which do so and no one
> has suggested any reason it is necessary to do so.

  Unfortunatly, this last is incorrect.  I just tested against my
  clockless server at noclock11.agranat.com through the jigsaw proxy at
  jigsaw.w3.org; it not only added a Date header, it replace the
  Last-Modified header in the original response with a different value
  (which is broken no matter how you figure it).

  As I have pointed out before, we cannot interpret the fact that proxy
  implementors won't step up and tell us what they are doing as meaning
  that they are only doing what we hope is true.  I repeat my call for
  other proxies we can use for testing.