Re: What is Content-Length?

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, John Franks wrote:

> Transfer-encoding header) to save bandwidth.  The proxy knows
> the compressed length; the client needs to know it for the transaction
> to work.

As I said ... redefine the encoding to include a header (within the
output of the encoding process) which gives
the length.  Of introduce a transfer-length header at that time.

The length should be part of the encoding. Otherwise the next problem
will be when a nested encoding is introduced. Where to put the
length of that encoding.

There is no risk to future extensibility if we ignore this potential
at this time.  Any such new encoding must be a 'closed' system in that
both ends must understand it.

Dave Morris