Re: What is Content-Length?

From: Life is hard... and then you die. <Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:21:59 +0100
To: http wg <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Scott Lawrence wrote:

>   There are no transfer encodings in 1.1 for which the length is
>   ambiguous; we don't need to change the spec now.

I'm not sure this is true. In the latest draft I discovered the
in Section 3.6:

     The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) acts as a registry
     transfer-coding value tokens. Initially, the registry contains the
     following tokens: "chunked" (section 3.6.1), "identity" (section
     "gzip" (section 3.5), "compress" (section 3.5), and "deflate"

Two questions:

1) Are gzip, compress and deflate really to be used as both transfer
   encodings and content encodings? What's the rationale behind that?

2) I'm not very familiar with the details of these encodings, but I
   believe they aren't self delimiting. Is this true?