Re: Proposal for new HTTP 1.1 authentication scheme

From: Life is hard... and then you die. <Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:12:46 +0200
To: paulle@microsoft.com, HTTP-WG%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> >    domain
> >      A space-separated list of URIs, as specified in RFC XURI [7]. The
> >      intent is that the client could use this information to know the set
> >      of URIs for which the same authentication information should be sent.
> >      The URIs in this list may exist on different servers. If this keyword
> >      is omitted or empty, the client should assume that the domain
> >      consists of all URIs on the responding server with paths at or deeper
> >      than the depth of the last symbolic element in the path field of the
> >      Request-URI.
> >
> What does "last symbolic element in the path field of the Request-URI" mean?

Maybe an example is best. Assume the Request-URI is
"http://somewhere/the/path/index.html" then you want to to talk about all
URIs with a prefix of "http://somewhere/the/path/", i.e. the scheme, the
site component and the path component of the Request-URI minus any trailing
segment. I assumed "symbolic element" to refer to "/".

  Cheers,

  Ronald