Re: Proposal for new HTTP 1.1 authentication scheme

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:56:23 -0500
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>, Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>, Eric_Houston/CAM/Lotus@lotus.com, Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
John Franks wrote:
> [...]
> Most of the suggestions by Paul and Dave seem to be clarifications
> of the original intent.  They should not cause problems.
> [...]

I still feel my one objection about proxy-added headers is substantive
and unresolved.  Briefly, an origin server might omit headers that get
figured into the entity-digest calculation.  A proxy might subsequently
add those headers.  The client sees a message *with* the headers,
calculates an entity-digest that figures them in, and gets a different
answer from what the origin server calculated.

Dave Kristol