RE: Proposal for new HTTP 1.1 authentication scheme

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Could the spec be fixed without interoperability trouble emerging?
>
> (Query to digest implementers???).
> 				- Jim

Most of the suggestions by Paul and Dave seem to be clarifications
of the original intent.  They should not cause problems.

The one significant change is Paul's suggested change of the algorithm
for calculating the "entity-digest".  If implementations exist they
will be incompatible.  I don't think I would describe this as
fixing a "bug" in the entity-digest algorithm.  It might be an
improvement though.  On the other hand, if I recall correctly it
was Paul who wrote the entity-digest algorithm, so he may have a
right to call it a bug.

John Franks
john@math.nwu.edu