Re: A common registry for MIME headers?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 01:08:51 +0000
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 09:42 29/11/97 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I personally think it would be better if there were a common
>registry for 'headers' that included the list of which
>were useful in HTTP, EMail, NetNews, within particular multipart
>types, etc.
>I think it would help in future coordination between extensions
>of mail, news, other kinds of 'push', etc.
>Do you support using the same registry for HTTP and other applications
>of MIME?

Here, here (or should that be "hear hear"?)

I find there there seems to be much discussion about the cross-overs
between protocols, so having a mechanism which avoids using the same name
for different purposes in different protocols seems like a good start.

And should there also be some equivalent to the "vnd" tree in MIME, for
strictly private protocol use?

Graham Klyne