RE: REAUTHENTICATION REQUIRED

1. I agree that this facility is required.
2. However, it is incomplete.  W/o a corresponding mechanism, there is
   no practical way for a server or proxy to know when the proposed
   420/421 reauthentication should be requested.

So, the timeout concept must be included, with the server providing the
timeout. At least optionally, the timeout should be specified as an
idle period, and not absolute value. That is, if the credential isn't
used (sent) within X seconds, it must be discarded.

Secondly, an additonal mechanism is required to allow the server to
force flushing of credentials w/o the implication of an immediate user
prompt. In many applications, there is an explicit notion of logoff.
Some form of response header to say flush credentials. Might be as
simple as the challenge header with a 2xx response to mean this is
a valid response but a new user interaction is required before sending
credentials to the server.

Dave Morris