Re: WG Last Call for draft-schulzrinne-http-status-00.txt

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:35:36 +0100 (MET)
To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, masinter@parc.xerox.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Jim Gettys:

>Whether at least existing HTTP implementations can possibly use
>more than three digits depends strongly on implementation details:
>
>a) If the implementation takes the code, and then performs a MOD 100
>operation, to get a subcode for the code type, then it makes sense to
>allow for more than three digit status codes.
>
>b) If existing implementations just take the first decimal digit,
>and then switch off of the remaining digits, more than 3 digit status
>codes are feasible.

True, but the draft discusses status codes for `HTTP and HTTP-Derived
Protocols', and I suppose that for at least some HTTP-Derived
protocols, compatibility with the status code parsers of plain http
clients will not be an issue.

And if you really want to send a 5 digit code like 45205 to a http
client without prior negotiation, you could always invent some wrapping
scheme with responses like

HTTP/1.1 299 Extended status code

Koen.