RANGE_WITH_CONTENTCODING

From: Maurizio Codogno <mau@beatles.cselt.it>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:51:57 +0100 (MET)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
If I am retrieving a file as text/html with content encoding gzip,
I can suppose that compression is made on the fly, so it makes sense
to say that range applies to the original file and not to the compressed
form.

On the other hand, if I am retrieving foobar.gz because it is
stored this way, it has type application/gzip, and it makes sense to apply
range to the gzipped form.

My opinion is therefore that range should not apply to the content
encoding.

.mau.