Re: new editorial issue RANGE_WITH_CONTENTCODING

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:15:52 -0800 (PST)
To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Without advocating a particular position, I would like to note that
one of the 'justifications' for byte ranges was the ability to
continue retrieving a previously interrupted response. In that mode,
if I were the developer of the client, I would want the byte range
to apply to the compressed form.

In the usage associated with partial retrieval of structured data such as
a PDF file, I'd want the byte ranges to apply to the uncompressed
resource.

It would be helpful to know what actual use is being made of byte ranges.

Dave Morris