Re: Question about HTTP/1.1 and proxy servers

From: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Babin, Francois" <francois.babin.fbabin@nortel.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> As I don't seem to get any answer to my question within the usenet,
> you might be able to help me here.
>
> Is there any way, on the server side, to identify if a request
> originated by an http client has passed through a proxy ? Is there
> anything that a proxy changes within the HTTP request/header before
> forwarding it that could be used ?

Yes, but depending on the version of the proxy server software, this
information may be in different places.  Here are the possibilities:

	- "Via:" header (HTTP/1.1)
	- "Forwarded:" header (some HTTP/1.0 implementations)

Cheers,
--
Ari Luotonen, Mail-Stop MV-061		Opinions my own, not Netscape's.
Netscape Communications Corp.		ari@netscape.com