Re: SSL Tunneling; Informational RFC; Last call?

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>>	Does anyone familiar with the CONNECT method have a serious
>>objection to its being considered as a standards track method, not
>>necessarily for the impending HTTP/1.1 RFC, but eventually to be
>>merged into an HTTP RFC?
>
>I have no objection to it, provided that the security concerns are
>adequately described, but in that case it should not be published as
>an Informational RFC (since that is not standards track).  Instead,
>it should be submitted to the WG for addition to HTTP/1.1 (assuming
>Larry agrees that it is appropriate to do so).
>
>BTW, it is also implemented in the Apache proxy, but I don't know
>if that implementation works correctly yet.

	The -08 draft defines tunneling, discusses it at length, but
offers no method name and specs for actually doing it.  CONNECT is
widely implemented, in itself is not a "munition", and all that's
needed is formal IETF specs to help ensure that the various
implementations are interoperable (with a standard description of
the security concerns) -- basically just editoral board polishing
of Ari's draft.

				Fote