Re: draft-ietf-http-state-man-mec-03: $Version and path

Gisle Aas <aas@bergen.sn.no> wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:41:31 +0200:

  > I have tried to implement support for cookies in libwww-perl based on
  > draft-ietf-http-state-man-mec-03.txt and have trouble finding answers
  > to the following two questions.
  >
  >   1) What to do for "Cookie: $Version=?" if the matching "Set-Cookie2"
  >      fields have different value of their Version attributes?  What if
  >      you have a mix of old "Set-Cookie" and "Set-Cookie2" fields that
  >      match.

Think of sending separate Cookie headers for each Set-Cookie[2].  The
$Version you send with each Cookie header corresponds to the one you
received in the Set-Cookie[2] for that cookie.  So a $Version applies
to all cookie-value's that follow it lexically in a Cookie header.

  >   2) Can the path attribute contain URL escapes (%XX) as substitues for
  >      the "real" chars?
  >      Does '"Set-Cookie2: ...;  Path="/foo%2f%62ar"' match for a URL
  >      like http://www/%66oo/bar?   If not, what are the rules?

You are correct that the specification does not say.  It should.
Should we allow/require the value for the Path attribute to be
URL-encoded?

Dave Kristol