Re: Interest in standard HTTP headers for specifying client display attributes?

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:40:51 PDT
To: "Mark D. Wood" <mdw@itc.kodak.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Mark D. Wood wrote:

> Microsoft currently provides in their various versions of Internet Explorer
> the headers UA_COLOR and UA_PIXELS that give an indication of the color
> depth supported by the client device and its screen resolution.  Microsoft
> provides these headers in Internet Explorer 3 and 4, and also in the Pocket
> Internet Explorer.  These headers are not standard; I would like to see
> headers providing this type of information become standard.

But this is already work in progress:

      draft-ietf-http-feature-reg-02.txt describes a mechanism
for registration of features such as color depth and number of pixels,
and draft-ietf-http-negotiation-03.txt includes an "accept-features"
header.

It would be good to get some timely working group focus on these
documents
before we progress them to "Experimental" status.

Larry

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter