RE: SSL Tunneling; Informational RFC; Last call?

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:55:27 -0400

On Friday, September 12, 1997 7:04 PM, Ari Luotonen
[SMTP:luotonen@netscape.com] wrote:

> I would like to issue a Last Call for the SSL Tunneling spec (included
> below), in order to move it into the Informational RFC state.  The
> spec has remained virtually unchanged for two I-D rounds (current
> draft-luotonen-ssl-tunneling-03.txt expires on 9/26/97), so I believe
> there is consensus and it accurately describes the current behaviour.

Even though this draft is intended for Informational status only, I think
it would be worthwhile to add a short section stating that SSL technology
is affected by Netscape's  patent on SSL in the US -- US Patent number
5,657,390.

The patent is entitled "Secure socket layer application program apparatus
and method", and is available at:

<http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?patent_number=5657390>.

Since this isn't a standards track document, my understanding is that the
existence of this patent will not affect the distribution of this draft as
an Informational RFC.

- Jim