Re: Clock skew and the importance of clock synchronization in HTTP servers.

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:15:59 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Cc: jg@pa.dec.com, luotonen@netscape.com, henrysa@exchange.microsoft.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, mogul@pa.dec.com, freier@netscape.com, paulle@microsoft.com
Roy T. Fielding:

[...]
>It is still a good idea to recommend installation of time synchronization
>software along with the server docs, but things are not as bad as they seem.

I agree, things are not as bad as they seem.

I may be repeating the obvious here, but the 1.1 Age header will do
away with incorrectness due to unsynchronised clocks, at least in a
pure 1.1 chain.  Once everything is 1.1, unsynchronised clocks will no
longer threaten correctness.

They will still threaten efficiency though, due to some unfortunate
properties of the (current) HTTP/1.1 age calculation algorithm.

>.....Roy

Koen.