Re: indefinite server-push (was 'Last-Modified in chunked footer')

Larry Masinter wrote:

> > I think that "indefinitely long server push" should be explicitly
> > disallowed. What's a robot to do, for example? I suppose this
> > is a different topic.
>
> Ben Laurie said:
> > Try ringing you local TV station and telling them they have to stop
> > broadcasting after 3 hours, because your VCR runs out of tape. :-)
>
> but seriously, shouldn't there be an expectation that a single
> HTTP request should get a complete reply, properly terminated,
> within a relatively small amount of time, and that a continuous
> entity body without termination (delivered through chunked encoding,
> perhaps) is not a valid HTTP response?

If there should be such an expectation, we should have said so long ago.
Servers commonly push effectively unlimited amounts of data already, and
I'd guess that this will become more common as time goes by.

> If we don't disallow such things, a proxy implementation which attempted
> to buffer complete responses before sending them on would be
> non-compliant.

A proxy which attempts to buffer complete responses is broken, so it may
as well be non-compliant.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org