indefinite server-push (was 'Last-Modified in chunked footer')

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:32:09 PDT
To: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Ben Laurie said:
> Try ringing you local TV station and telling them they have to stop
> broadcasting after 3 hours, because your VCR runs out of tape. :-)

but seriously, shouldn't there be an expectation that a single
HTTP request should get a complete reply, properly terminated,
within a relatively small amount of time, and that a continuous
entity body without termination (delivered through chunked encoding,
perhaps) is not a valid HTTP response?

If we don't disallow such things, a proxy implementation which attempted
to buffer complete responses before sending them on would be
non-compliant.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter