Re: Last-Modified in chunked footer

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 08:20:41 PDT
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I like Jeff's proposal, even though it's a significant broadening
of the requirements for HTTP/1.1 recipients (both clients & servers)
to deal with header-fields in a chunked trailer, since I think
it goes a long way toward making HTTP more useful with dynamically
generated content.

> In some cases, however (such as an indefinitely long server push),
> it is actually impossible to buffer the entire response at any
> point.  In such cases, one clearly needs to put the headers
> before the content!  This would seem to preclude the use of
> Content-MD5 (and some forms of Digest Authentication?) in these
> cases.

I think that "indefinitely long server push" should be explicitly
disallowed. What's a robot to do, for example? I suppose this
is a different topic.

Larry

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter