Re: Compressing HTML

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 11:44:19 MDT
To: Andrew Daviel <advax@triumf.ca>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
By the way, together with three researchers from AT&T Labs - Research,
I've just finished a technical report that attempts to quantify, using
large traces of actual Web users, just how much one can save by using
compression.  It also covers a technique called "delta encoding",
which is very similar to the Distribution and Replication Protocol
(DRP) being proposed within the W3C by Marimba, Netscape, Sun, Novell,
and @Home.

    Jeffrey C. Mogul, Fred Douglis, Anja Feldmann, and Balachander
    Krishnamurthy. Potential benefits of delta encoding and data
    compression for HTTP. Research Report 97/4, Digital Equipment
    Corporation Western Research Laboratory, July, 1997.
    http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/techreports/abstracts/97.4.html

This is an expanded version of our SIGCOMM '97 paper, which I'll be
presenting next week.

-Jeff