Re: 301/302

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 14:41:46 -0400
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Cc: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

RTF> It will be a while before applications can transition to using all of the
RTF> features of HTTP/1.1 without looking at the User-Agent or Server field
RTF> first, but we have to start somewhere.

  How so?  If a server gets a request labeled HTTP/1.1, it should
  treat it as one and respond with 1.1; the complexity of looking at
  User-Agent values and making some decision based on them is too much
  to contemplate (especially since many browsers lie in thier
  User-Agent headers).

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/